This lesson starts with an introduction to the course. We then provide an overview of sampling. The distinction between probability sampling and quota sampling is discussed. And we proceed to talk about how to estimate the population mean and population total under simple random sampling.
Lesson 1: Ch. 1, 2.1-2.6, 3 of Sampling by Steven Thompson, 3rd edition.
- Recognize that sample design influences the type of estimation procedure,
- Distinguish between quota sampling and probability sampling,
- Identify and explain the desirable properties of estimators,
- distinguish between sampling errors and nonsampling errors,
- Use Minitab to generate a SRS,
- Compute the point estimate to a population mean and estimate the variance of the estimate, and
- Compute the point estimate to a population total and estimate the variance of the estimate.