This lesson starts with an introduction to the course. We then provide an overview to sampling. The distinction between probability sampling and quota sampling is discussed. And we proceed to talk about how to estimate population mean and population total under simple random sampling.
Lesson 1: Ch. 1, 2.1-2.6, 3 of Sampling by Steven Thompson, 3rd edition.
- know that estimation procedures depend on the sample design,
- distinguish between quota sampling and probability sampling,
- know the desirable properties of estimates,
- distinguish between sampling error and nonsampling errors,
- know how to perform srs by using Minitab,
- provide point estimate to population mean and be able to estimate the variance of the estimate, and
- provide point estimate to population total and be able to estimate the variance of the estimate.