About this Course
Welcome to the course notes for STAT 507: Epidemiological Research Methods. These notes are designed and developed by Penn State's Department of Statistics and offered as open educational resources. These notes are free to use under Creative Commons license CC BY-NC 4.0.
This course is part of the Online Master of Applied Statistics program offered by Penn State's World Campus.
If you are a current student in this course, please see Canvas for your syllabus, assignments, lesson videos, and communication from your instructor.
How to enroll?
If you would like to enroll and experience the entire course for credit please see 'How to enroll in a course' on the World Campus website.
Course Overview Section
We look forward to our time together learning how epidemiologists define cases, assess exposures and design studies to consider the impact of various factors on the health of a population. Upon completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Understand epidemiologic hypotheses, concepts and measures
- Describe epidemiologic study designs.
- Understand the strengths and limitations of various epidemiologic study designs.
- Design an epidemiological study.
- Identify sources of bias, confounding and effect modification in epidemiological studies.
- Analyze epidemiologic data using multivariable methods.
- Prepare and make an epidemiological presentation.
- Write an epidemiologic report.
- Write a proposal for an epidemiologic study.
- Critically read epidemiological literature.
For some general information about this course, read below About the Instructor, Being a Successful Learner, Getting Help, Personalizing Your Contact Information and Special Materials...