To summarize, all of the following will be considered when making decisions about screening programs or guidelines. Are these factors considered in the ongoing discussions about mammography guidelines?.
- Acceptability/desirability by patient and community
- Historical precedent for screening
- Sufficient burden of disease
- Different populations have a distinct and different distribution of disease
- Natural history of disease supports early detection
- Availability of ‘adequate’ screening tests
- Availability of and compliance with ‘effective’ treatment and follow up
- Acceptability by provider and health care system
- Will of the political and health care system
- Availability of resources - funds, services, transportation,…
- Cost-effectiveness of screening
You have completed reading Lesson 10. You are now ready to participate in the activities indicated for Week 10.