Managing the Online CourseManaging the Online Course
Expectations for Online Instructors
- Be responsive, reliable and helpful week in and week out.
- Respond to queries as soon as possible never leaving the students waiting for a reply.
- Share explanations that are clear and encouraging.
- Break down complex material into plain English.
- Use a blend of videos and animations where needed.
- Grade homework, quizzes and exams predictably and post results promptly.
The guide below is an adaptation of the guide maintained by the John A. Dutton e-Education Institute. Please see their Managing Your Online Class page for additional suggestions and tips.
- Interact in course discussion forums
- Respond to course email
- Grade assignments
- Introduce topics and post weekly announcements
- Summarize the topics presented that week and the discussion forum conversations in the announcements
- Update course schedule
- Hold 'office hours' (find a way to connect effectively with students that have questions)