In this lesson, our primary aim is to get a big picture of the entire course that lies ahead of us. Along the way, we'll also learn some basic concepts to help us begin to build our probability tool box.
- Learn the distinction between a population and a sample.
- Learn how to define an outcome (sample) space.
- Learn how to identify the different types of data: discrete, continuous, categorical, binary.
- Learn how to summarize quantitative data graphically using a histogram.
- Learn how statistical packages construct histograms for discrete data.
- Learn how statistical packages construct histograms for continuous data.
- Learn the distinction between frequency histograms, relative frequency histograms, and density histograms.
- Learn how to "read" information from the three types of histograms.
- Learn the big picture of the course, that is, put the material of sections 1 through 5 here on-line, and chapters 1 through 5 in the text, into a framework for the course.