Stat 482 (Advanced Topics in SAS) builds on the skills and tools learned in Stat 480 (Introduction to SAS) and Stat 481 (Intermediate SAS). One of the primary goals of the course is to extend students' SAS programming skills to an advanced-level.
The goals of the course are:
- to extend your SAS programming skills to an advanced-level
- to become familiar with some of the SAS System's more commonly used statistical procedures
- to further increase your confidence in understanding and programming in SAS
- to extend your understanding of how the SAS application can be used effectively to manage and manipulate data
- to extend your knowledge of good programming practices
The course is truly a topics course in that the topics covered are broad in their use and appeal. The course provides a survey of major statistical analysis procedures, such as TTEST, GLM, REG, MANOVA, FACTOR, LOGISTIC, and MIXED procedures. Other topics include generating random numbers, using the SAS/Graph module to produce presentation quality graphs, using the TABULATE procedure to create reports, using the SQL procedure to query and combine data tables, and using macros to write more efficient SAS programs. Students learn the material through a comprehensive set of lessons, demonstrations, and homework assignments.
Dr. Laura Simon is the primary author of the materials for this course and is SAS certified. In addition, she has also authored the companion courses: STAT 480 and STAT 481. Dr. Simon has most recently updated the focus of the course and has added considerably to the number of examples and the amount of interaction.
- Access to a Windows PC that has internet access, SAS, and Microsoft Word
- Access to your own copy of SAS 9.4. Please make sure that you visit Statistical Software page for the latest information about SAS.
Cody, Ronald P. and Jeffrey K. Smith (2006), Applied Statistics and the SAS Programming Language, Fifth Edition, Upper Saddle River, NJ: Pearson Prentice Hall. ISBN 0-13-146532-5
- Delwiche, Lora D., Slaughter, S.J., (2019), The Little SAS Book: Primer, Sixth Edition. Cary, NC: SAS Publishing. ISBN-13: 978-1642952834; ISBN-10: 164295283
- SAS Institute Inc. (2019), SAS® Certification Prep Guide: Base Programming for SAS® 9.4, 3rd Edition, Cary, NC: SAS Institute, Inc.