Welcome to the Orientation Materials for the online courses associated with the Department of Statistics!
If this is the first time that you are taking an online course, then we would strongly urge you to work through the pages that follow here. We work hard to ensure that your learning experience is as positive for you as possible and we hope that the information and contacts that you will be introduced to in this orientation will help to point you in this direction.
- Be able to describe the general nature of how the online courses are designed and the online course environment.
- Understand the role of students in an online course and what is expected from them.
- Be able to list a range of technologies that are used in association with our online courses and be able to assess whether the computer setup that they will be using is able to handle how materials are presented and interactions with others.
- Be able to list the various statistical software packages that are used as part of the online courses be able to describe how to obtain a copy of this software so that it can be installed before classes begin.
- Be able to list a range of resources and services that are available to Penn State students.
- Know who to contact when you need additional information about the program or about learning online at Penn State.
- Know who to contact when you need technical assistance.
Begin by reading through the pages that follow in this module. Follow the links that are presented so that you can check the various technology requirements on your own computer and make note of the different services that are described.
There will be a short quiz at the conclusion of these materials.
If you have any questions as you go through this Orientation, please feel free to contact John Haubrick, instructional designer & teaching faculty, Department of Statistics.