Lingzhou Xue is an Associate Professor of Statistics at Penn State.
Xue received his Ph.D. in Statistics from the University of Minnesota in 2012. He received his M.S. in Statistics from the University of Minnesota in 2011, and his B.S. in Statistics from Peking University in 2008.
His research interests include high-dimensional statistics, statistical learning, optimization, econometrics, and statistical applications in biological science, environmental science, and social science. His papers have been published in top-tier journals in statistics and data science, including The Annals of Statistics, Biometrika, eLife, Journal of the American Statistical Association, Journal of Accounting & Economics, Journal of Econometrics, Monthly Weather Review, Nature Materials, Neural Computation, Proceedings of the IEEE, etc. His research has been supported by the National Science Foundation, National Institutes of Health, and Simons Foundation.
His professional activities include Co-Chair of the 2017 C. R. and Bhargavi Rao Prize Conference, University Park, PA (2017 and 2015); Member of the Big Data Research and Development Initiative Working Group of the American Statistical Association (ASA), and Co-author of the ASA white paper "Discovery with Data: Leveraging Statistics with Computer Science to Transform Science and Society", (2014); and Organizing committee member, "Large-Scale Statistical Learning and Inference: Challenges and New Directions" workshop, Minneapolis, MN, (2012).
He holds academic appointments at Penn State as Assistant Professor of Statistics (2014-present) and Associate Faculty in the Institute of CyberScience (2017-present). Xue was a Postdoctoral Research Associate at Princeton University (2012-2013), where his mentor was Professor Jianqing Fan. From 2011 to 2012, Xue was a Long Term Visitor at the Institute for Mathematics and its Applications (IMA).
Honors and Awards
- International Consortium of Chinese Mathematicians (ICCM) Best Paper Award, 2019
- Bernoulli Society (BS) New Researcher Award, 2019
- International Chinese Statistical Association International Conference Young Researcher Award, 2016
- International Statistical Institute (ISI) Elected Member, 2016
- Du, K, Huddart, S. J., Xue, L. and Zhang, Y. (2020) Using a Hidden Markov Model to Measure Earnings Quality. Journal of Accounting & Economics, in press.
- Chen, Y., Ju, L., Zhou, F., Liao, J., Xue, L., Su, Q., Yuan, Y., Lu, H., Jackson, S. and Zhu C. (2019). An Integrin αIIbβ3 Intermediate Affinity State Mediates Biomechanical Platelet Aggregation. Nature Materials, 18, 760–769.
- Zou, H. and Xue, L. (2018) A Selective Overview of Sparse Principal Component Analysis. Proceedings of the IEEE, 106: 1311-1320.
- Fan, J., Xue, L. and Yao, J. (2017) Sufficient Forecasting Using Factor Models. Journal of Econometrics, 201: 292-306.
- Ju, L., Chen, Y., Xue, L., Du, X. and Zhu C. (2016). Cooperative Unfolding of Distinctive Mechanoreceptor Domains Transduces Force into Signals. eLife, e15447.
- Fan, J., Xue, L. and Zou, H. (2014) Strong Oracle Optimality of Folded Concave Penalized Estimation. The Annals of Statistics, 42: 819-849.
- Xue, L. and Zou, H. (2012). Regularized Rank-Based Estimation of High-Dimensional Nonparanormal Graphical Models. The Annals of Statistics, 40(5): 2541-2571.
- Xue, L., Ma, S. and Zou, H. (2012).Positive-Definite L1-Penalized Estimation of Large Covariance Matrices. Journal of the American Statistical Association, 107: 1480-1491.